This smoothie is a real treat. It’s like a healthy vanilla milkshake. It tastes so good, it’s hard to just sip it. If you’re not familiar with matcha, it’s finely ground, high quality, green tea powder. It’s sweeter than steeped green tea and, because it’s in a concentrated powder form, it’s super healthy due to all of those green tea antioxidants. You can find matcha in the tea section at Whole Foods, or any organic or Asian market. Or you can buy it online. The cost of matcha will vary depending on the quality – more expensive matcha is more mellow, less expensive matcha has more bitterness.
Yield: 2 smoothies
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk (preferably homemade)
- 2 teaspoons matcha powder (can use more or less, depending on your taste)
- vanilla bean – a tiny scrape from about 1-inch of the pod
- a handful of ice
- a splash of honey (optional)
- Blend everything together. Taste & adjust to your liking.
If you don’t happen to have a vanilla bean, you can skip it. You can try adding a bit of vanilla extract, but you don’t have to in order for this smoothie to taste good.
Adapted from a recipe on www.loveandlemons.com.