Now that berries will soon be coming into season, here’s a great way to put them to use. Did you know that berries have the lowest glycemic load of all other fruits? That means they have a low carb content and won’t make your blood sugar levels rise too much. Just make sure you choose organic berries – particularly strawberries – they are on the dirty dozen list of foods grown with the most pesticides.
So grab your blender and whip up this delicious, healthy smoothie.
Yield: about 16 oz.
- handful of strawberries
- handful of blueberries
- 1 banana
- 2 cups almond milk
- handful of spinach (or kale – whichever you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon or more chia seeds (or ground flax seeds)
- 4 or 5 ice cubes
- Put all the fruit and the almond milk in the blender and blend on low power for a few seconds
- Add the spinach, almond butter, chia seeds, and ice cubes and blend until smooth.