Chickpeas, also known as garbanzo beans, are high in protein, fiber, folate, and iron. One cup of chickpeas has about 12.5 grams of fiber! Ground up, chickpeas taste great as a burger. This is one of my favorite (and my kids’ favorite) quick and easy dinners. Serve the burgers on sprouted whole grain english muffins, buns, or bread. Top the burgers with your favorite mustard, salsa, and green leaf lettuce.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 16 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained (I like the Eden Organic brand)
- 3/4 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs) – or you may use regular, plain bread crumbs
- 1 extra large egg
- 1 large zucchini, grated and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Put the first 6 ingredients in the bowl of a food processor with 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Process until just smooth.
- Form into 4 thick patties.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to cook.
- Drizzle about 1/2 teaspoon oil on each side of the burgers.
- Place them on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes, turn over with a spatula and bake for about another 8 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Serve with your favorite toasted bread and toppings.
Adapted from Eat Fresh Food