This rice bowl recipe may be used as a template for making rice bowls. You can vary the toppings as desired. I like azuki beans because they are small, flavorful, and easy to digest. The butternut squash goes really well with the rice and the miso dressing (I use the pre-cut squash found in most grocery stores). You can set this dinner up as an assembly line and have your family put whatever toppings they want on the rice. This is a family favorite.
Serves: 4 – 5 people
For the Rice Bowl
- 2 cups organic brown rice (I pre-soak my rice in warm water for several hours)
- 3 3/4 cups water
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1 package organic firm tofu, cut into cubes
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 bunch greens, such as kale (or swiss chard or spinach), stems removed and torn into bite sized pieces
- 1 can organic azuki beans (or any type of beans), rinsed and drained
- sesame seeds (optional)
For the Dressing
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons white miso
- 1/4 cup low sodium tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Place rice in a saucepan. Add the water and a large pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil, stir once, and reduce heat. Simmer, covered, until rice is tender and has absorbed all liquid (about 40 minutes – shorter time if you pre-soak the rice). Remove from heat and let stand covered for about 10 minutes.
- To make the dressing, process the ginger, miso, tamari, and the 1/4 cup water in a food processor until smooth. With machine running, gradually add the toasted sesame oil and process until combined. Transfer to a small bowl.
- For the vegetables, use 2 saucepans fitted with steamer inserts (or you may use a large 2-tiered bamboo steamer). Fill the pans with about 1 -2 inches of water. Bring water to a simmer. Place squash in one steamer and broccoli in another. Cover and steam squash for about 10 minutes (or until tender) and steam broccoli for about 5 – 7 minutes. Remove broccoli when tender and add kale (or other greens) to same steamer basket and steam for about 6 – 7 minutes – until squash and greens are tender.
- To prepare tofu, you may either sauté in a little bit of peanut oil until lightly browned or you can steam it (for about 8 minutes) along with the squash and greens.
- To serve, fluff rice with a fork and divide among 4 or 5 serving bowls. Arrange beans, greens, tofu, squash, broccoli and any other toppings on top. Drizzle each bowl with some of the miso dressing and sesame seeds.
Adapted from Power Foods